The idea for my video project was not an easy thought. It took some carful consideration and research before I even started creating a script. I spent time on each step of the project evaluating my decisions and making sure my choices were inline with my goal for the video. I am proud of what I created and happy that others thought it worked well too.
Before I started my script I spent a couple days researching topics and ideas. I knew I wanted to do a food topic because the action of cooking would produce great content. My original idea for cupcakes didn’t have much reasoning, but just a little research revealed how great the idea was. I didn’t want to make a whole batch of cupcakes and quickly found a fun recipe for one cake in a coffee mug; a “Cake in a cup”. This recipe happens to be very similar to the first recipe for a cupcake released in an American cookbook. With this history, and a fun spin on a popular treat, I was ready to write my script.
I decided to make a simple script focused around teaching someone to bake the “Cake in a cup”. I made my script minimal to allow for improvisation and addition during the actual filming. I sectioned my process into three steps; Introduction and History, Cooking, History and Tasting. I made sure to include some specific lines that I wanted to say, but later realized that my script was helping me improv the entire video. I didn’t end up using much of the words I wrote, but the ideas and pacing were still useful and guided my video.
With or without a complete script, acting/filming a video is not easy work. Scenes do not always go well the first time and new ideas for visuals come up after scenes have already been shot. The improvisation and minimal structure to my script really helped me work fluidly with the filming process. However, I still made mistakes and had to reshoot or change some scenes.
I was able to film 80% of the content in one afternoon; only having 2-3 takes per scene. After showing my video to my peers I had some additional filming to do, but was fortunate with the scenes I had already shot. I was given ideas such as showing my face more, and explaining information earlier in the video for reference in later scenes. I did not have to re-film any of the scenes and I was able to input different audio and visuals to solve most of these suggestions.
After filming I decided to add some image from Flickr for more visual effect. I put these images in the third scene of the video while I was busy string the cake mixture and added audio to describe the images I had chosen. For example, I needed to show an image of a cupcake tin and frosting. My Cake in a cup recipe is more inline with the original 1700’s recipe and I needed to show the current culture and different cupcakes people can make. This worked out well and added a fun dynamic of images and me continuing to cook the “Cake in a cup”.
I am happy with the video I created. The process was not easy but the steps along the way helped me finish the project. Without the script I would have had no direction and I was lucky that the fluid aspect of it made it easier for me to film. The peer review was important because it allowed me to reevaluate myself. I learned a lot about creating media with the audience in mind. It is important to remember how different groups will perceive what is created or the message being given.